How do I find out if the IRS has discharged old tax bills past 10 years?

Greenwood, IN |

Have several tax bills when have been on uncollectable status for many years. Most are over 10 years old.

You can request a copy of the tax transcript report directly from the IRS for the applicable tax year to determine the status of the account.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.

The IRS has 10 years to collect from the date of assessment. This can be extended by Bankruptcy filings and also certain appeals within the IRS, including a consent to extend the statute of limitations on collections. You should check with your tax lawyer to get a transcript of your account to determine if the Statute of Limitations has expired on any of the years. Then, an application can be made for a Release of Lien.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio
www.TaxEsq.com
856 665-2121

If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary for you to try prove this answer is "wrong" or something with which you do not agree. This is a free service for you based on limited facts. Nevertheless, many times you need to consult an attorney with the details to get actual advice specific to your concerns. Do not put too many details in your questions or comments because this makes the information public and could hurt you. Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.

In addition to what the other attorneys stated, please be aware that the 10 year collection statue does not begin until you actually filed the return. Have a local tax attorney review your situation as this can get complex.

H. Daniel Lively, Esq., LL.M., CPA Certified Tax Specialist, CA Board of Legal Specialization dlively@livelylawgroup.com www.USTaxRescue.com 714-708-2593 Mr. Lively is a Certified Tax Specialist by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. He can be reached at 714-708-2593 or USTaxRescue.com.Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.