How do I find out if the IRS has discharged old tax bills past 10 years?

Asked over 1 year ago - Greenwood, IN

Have several tax bills when have been on uncollectable status for many years. Most are over 10 years old.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Charles Lewis

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can request a copy of the tax transcript report directly from the IRS for the applicable tax year to determine the status of the account.

    Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal... more
  2. Ronald J Cappuccio


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The IRS has 10 years to collect from the date of assessment. This can be extended by Bankruptcy filings and also certain appeals within the IRS, including a consent to extend the statute of limitations on collections. You should check with your tax lawyer to get a transcript of your account to determine if the Statute of Limitations has expired on any of the years. Then, an application can be made for a Release of Lien.

    I hope this helps!

    Ron Cappuccio
    856 665-2121

    If you do not like this answer or disagree, please look at one of the other answers provided. It is not necessary... more
  3. Henry Daniel Lively

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In addition to what the other attorneys stated, please be aware that the 10 year collection statue does not begin until you actually filed the return. Have a local tax attorney review your situation as this can get complex.

    H. Daniel Lively, Esq., LL.M., CPA Certified Tax Specialist, CA Board of Legal Specialization dlively@... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,135 answers this week

3,468 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,135 answers this week

3,468 attorneys answering