How do I find out if my children have been adopted?

Asked about 4 years ago - Seattle, WA

My ex hasn't let me see or talk to my two boys in 5 years the first 2 years I tried everything but he always had some excuse I talked to attorneys but still didn't accomplish much but once a year I try and get in touch with them last year I called he said they've been adopted by his wife. I was devastated but when I started reading some of your answers that it could be possible I just have to know if he could do such a thing without my consent and how would I find this information?

1. Susan Lee Beecher

Answered . The children can't be adopted by someone else unless you have relinquished your parental rights or the court has extinguished them (which involves a legal process; it wouldn't happen without your knowledge). If you are sure you have not done so, then they have not been adopted.

I would urge you to get help from a family law attorney to get a parenting pla in place, or if there is one already, to get it enforced. If you cannot afford a family law attorney to represent you, many will provide "unbundled services" (provide guidance to you while you represent yourself) and there are also many clinics that will help you.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now