How do I find out if I was Formally Committed or just held for observation? Is there legal paperwork I can find somewhere?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tacoma, WA

I was held in a standard hospital (it was not Western State Hospital) for about 3 days. How do I find out if I was Formally Committed or just held for observation? Is there legal paperwork I can ask for? If so, where would it be? The only thing in my medical records shows that I received counseling and group therapy, etc. If it was a true involuntary stay can the doctors just send paperwork to a court or judge for approval without my knowledge?

The reason I ask is out of concern for a loss of rights and possible restoration if possible.

Thank you.

1. Barry Franklin Poulson

1

1

Answered . You can contact the hospital and ask for your records. A letter works best, unless you can just go there. They will want a records release, and often require use of their own form. Sounds pretty short for any kind of a formal proceeding, but you can also contact the court and see if there is any record.