Skip to main content

How do i find out if i live in a rent controlled area in california and if my landlord has to pay relocations fees?

Hydesville, CA |

the dwelling is illegally built with no permits or certificate of occupancy obtained. he has admitted in court that he did the work himself and that he knew he had to obtain these things and didn't cause of cost and it being a lengthy process. he then rented to not just us but people before us have provided the courts with all the information from the county building department as well. we want to know now though if we live in a rent control area and if he is at least required to pay our relocation fees before he can have us evicted from the house? We live in the small town of Hydesville, Humboldt County, CA.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If you live in a small town, it is highly doubtful that the landlord will have any legal obligation to pay relocation fees to you under a rent control law.

The cities in California with rent control are:

Beverly Hills
East Palo Alto
Los Angeles
Los Gatos
Palm Springs
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Monica
Thousand Oaks
West Hollywood
Westlake Village

See also:

The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author (who is only admitted to practice law in the State of California). For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer