How do I find out if I can legally own a gun in the state of Washington?

Yelm, WA |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was convicted of two misdemeaner DV 4th degree assults in 2009. I spent some time in jail, less than a years. I am not on probation of any kind after completeing a CDP and DV program. I am trying to find out if I can legally own a gun. Who should I contact to find the answer?

1. The gun laws from where you live will govern you.

All 50 states must follow the federal gun law possession ban. In Washington, when you are looking to possess a gun, you will run into it as well.

Check with a local lawyer to make sure you can reinstate your civil rights so you may own a gun legally. The DV misdmemeanor convictions you served time for may be the reason you can never own a gun?

Federal law prohibits gun possession by any of the following groupings of people. This is true no matter what Washington law says:

(1) Convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;

(2) Fugitive from justice;

(3) Unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Adjudicated as mentally defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Discharged from the US military by dishonorable conditions;

(7) A former citizen of the United States who has renounced US citizenship;

(8) Subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

.... Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

If your convictions fall into any of these groupings, as a practical matter under federal law, you can never legally own a gun again no matter what Washington law says. So before some lawyer tries to convince you to dig up a long lost file, file a form, pay a fee and go to court, make sure you understand that federal law must be followed by all 50 states. Check with an attorney today.

Civil rights topics