Skip to main content

How do I find out if I can legally own a gun in the state of Washington?

Yelm, WA |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was convicted of two misdemeaner DV 4th degree assults in 2009. I spent some time in jail, less than a years. I am not on probation of any kind after completeing a CDP and DV program. I am trying to find out if I can legally own a gun. Who should I contact to find the answer?

Attorney Answers 1


The gun laws from where you live will govern you.

All 50 states must follow the federal gun law possession ban. In Washington, when you are looking to possess a gun, you will run into it as well.

Check with a local lawyer to make sure you can reinstate your civil rights so you may own a gun legally. The DV misdmemeanor convictions you served time for may be the reason you can never own a gun?

Federal law prohibits gun possession by any of the following groupings of people. This is true no matter what Washington law says:

(1) Convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;

(2) Fugitive from justice;

(3) Unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;

(4) Adjudicated as mentally defective or has been committed to a mental institution;

(5) Alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;

(6) Discharged from the US military by dishonorable conditions;

(7) A former citizen of the United States who has renounced US citizenship;

(8) Subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or

(9) Convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence

.... Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

If your convictions fall into any of these groupings, as a practical matter under federal law, you can never legally own a gun again no matter what Washington law says. So before some lawyer tries to convince you to dig up a long lost file, file a form, pay a fee and go to court, make sure you understand that federal law must be followed by all 50 states. Check with an attorney today.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics