Skip to main content

How do I find out if I am tom inherit anything from my grandfather's will?

Miami, FL |

My grandfather died March 2006 and I think i was left something in his will. I have no idea who has the will nor do i have any contact with the family. How do I find out?

Attorney Answers 3


It seems a little tardy on your part at this time but go to the Clerk of the Court office in the county of the decedent residence. They may have a probate dept. Ask the Clerk to pull the file under the decedent name. It is public information. You can also have the Clerk copy any pages of the Last Will & Testament for $1 per page for your personal records. That Will will answer your questions as to any inheritance that he may have given you.

See an elder law attorney since this subject can be complex and other issues are created that you might require further information. My website below may have articles that may further be of interest to you on this subject. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!
My comments are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship, are not confidential, and are not intended to constitute legal advice. Proper legal advice can only be given by an attorney who agrees to represent you, who reviews the facts of your specific case, who does not have a conflict of interest preventing the representation, and who is licensed as an attorney in the state where the law applies.

Dan W. Armstrong, Attorney
Law Offices of Dan W. Armstrong, P.A.
P.O. Box 1535
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32004-2479
(O) 904.280.0058, (F) 904.280.0109


Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Go to the State/locality where probate was opened and review the file. Also, call around to family and learn more about your grandfather's circumstance and death.

Of course, raising the issue five years after the fact, and with the obvious motive of rooting out money, won't endear you to others in the family.

Mark as helpful


A probate proceeding would have been commenced in the county which was your grandfather's grandfather's domicile at the time of his death. This would be public information and you go to the probate clerk and ask to review the file. However a probate proceeding probably was not initiated if he did not own any assets in his individual name. Hope this helps.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics