How do I find out if I am divorced in California?

Filed under: Divorce

I want to know if I am legally divorced form Husband. He filed for divorce but the papers sent to me did not say I was divorced.

The fastest way would be to check your Court's website, find your case in the online docket and see if judgment has been entered. If judgement has been entered and a notice of entry of judgment has been mailed to the parties, then you are divorced.

A slower method would be to go to Court and to review the Court file to look for these documents. --

The filing for a divorce does not make you divorced. You would need to see if there is a Judgment on the case. You are only divorced once a Judgment is entered stating you are divorced.
A lot of counties have the information available online. If not you would have to go to the court where the divorce was filed and check for a Judgment.

If you have not received a Notice of Entry of Judgment from the Court, you are most likely not divorced. Your husband may have served you with the initial filing which you have 30 days to respond to. If you wish to find out if you are divorced, you need to look in the county where the case was filed and check to see the status of your case based on the case number.

The response above does not form an attorney-client relationship. This answer may or may not apply to you and should not be relied upon as legal advice.