Skip to main content

How do I find out if I am divorced? I have not had any contact from my spouse in 40 years and I want to remarry.

Washington, DC |

I was married in Puerto Rico to a military person I left and have not contacted him since. Not sure if he has ever filed for divorce.

Attorney Answers 2


You can try to contact an attorney on Puerto Rico to see if they can access the information electronically. If there is a record of a divorce, you can then go off and get married without any problem. If is not a record of a divorce, though, you can contact an attorney in DC and see about filing for a divorce. Service may be an issue but your attorney would be able to help you there.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

Mark as helpful


We should be able to track him down, get his consent and file for Divorce in DC - if he has not already done so...

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics