How do I find out if a shared driveway has a recorded easement ?

Brooklyn, NY |

I have a shared driveway with the house next door. The owner of that house likes to leave his car in the middle of the driveway instead of pulling all the way to the back and going into his own parking space. That causes me a great deal of aggravation as I cannot get to my own parking spot without the hassle of calling him out to move his car. I am sure that years ago, when the houses were built with the shared driveway, an easement was written up detailing what each owner could or could not do. I am sure that neither side is allowed to put their car in the driveway itself but has to go all the way to the rear. How can I prove this? How do I find this easement? It was not in any of my closing papers. By the way, the property line runs straight down the middle of the driveway.

1. Deeds, Mortgages, Easements, and all documents that affect ownership of real property in Kings County are recorded in The Office of the City Register, in NYC Finance’s Division of Land Records. They keep real property and other legal records for Manhattan, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens.

You can go to the Division of Land Records and request your land records and make a copy of any easements (most likely to be in your deed). You can also try using the ACRIS system: http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/scripts/docsearch.dll/index