Skip to main content

How do i find out if a person is still on probation?

Naples, FL |

This person has been on probation since '09 for cyberstalking/resisting arrest & did not complete any terms of that probation and was arrested for DUI while on probation. This person has behavioural and anger control problems and has been harrassing and threatening me. He is a relative. I reported this to the sheriffs dept and was turned away. What can i do?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. I am assuming both of those were misdemeanor offenses so chances are he is no longer on probation. You could check the Clerk of Court's website in the county where the offenses were charged to see if you can look up the record there.
    Regarding the harassment and threats, you could file a petition for injunction against repeat violence or domestic violence (depending on your relationship to the individual). Know however, repeat violence is very difficult to prove.
    Good luck!

    Legal disclaimer: The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices.

  2. File a petition for an injunction. Go see the clerk of court in your county and fill out papers to get a civil injunction. As to finding out if the person is on probation, you may be able to go to the Florida Department of Corrections website and do an offender search.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

  3. Go to the below link and enter their information to see if he/she is still on probation.

    John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

  4. Not much with the sheriff. Write a letter to THE sheriff about the way his deputy reacted maybe even as a letter to the editor.
    The probation departent might be of more assistace. If you know what count he was convicted in, call the probation department in that county and ask to speak to his PO. If the PO is not particularly agreeable about confirming the person is on probation, you can contact the court to get the case number and trace what happened in court. You might be better served in hiring an investigator to look that up. YOu can also try a restraining order. Suggest that you retain counsel for that. You should be able to find one on AVVO, just follow the find an attorney links.

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

  5. Go to the Florida Department Corrections website and click on "offender search".

    Sent from my iPad | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

  6. If the person harrassing and threatening you is still on probation and you were the victim in that case, the Judge most likely made no contact with you a condition of probation. Thus, if this person is still contacting you and there is a no contact provision, this could serve as a basis to seek a violation of his/her probation. You could contact the Sheriff's Office or the person's probation officer to report this contact. Also, you could seek an injunction for protection in civil court if you meet the statutory requirements. That is, if you can establish a domestic violence relationshiop, then you can seek an injunction for protection against domestic violence. However, if you do not meet the statutory definition of domestic violence, you could still seek an injunction for protection against repeat violence. In order to get an injunction, you would have to go to the courthouse to complete the paperwork and file the necessary documents with the court.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics