How do I find out about my deceased father IRA (retirement), 401 accounts if he has any? He has worked for over 20 years.

Elgin, IL |

I know he has an IRA and 401 account but I don't know where his account is kept and how to go about finding them. How do I go about searching for lost IRA or 401 accounts?

1. Go through your father's papers to see if you can find any clues. Contact your father's former employer(s) who might be able to give you some leads. You should consult a probate attorney for assistance in your search. You might need to prepare a small estate affidavit (or even open a decedent';s estate to show you are entitled to receive this information. I am sorry for your loss.

2. Illinois treasure has established a site where consumers can search for assets held by the treasure from financial institutions and the like: https://icash.illinois.gov