Skip to main content

How do I find my uncle's aliases and how to prove they were him for the probate courts of Oklahoma?

Shawnee, OK |

My uncle worked for Opportunity America and used his aliases for his art. How can I find out what his aliases are and prove they were aliases of his due to the fact he owned land in some of these aliases when he died. I don't know legally where to go. I am the Administrator to his estate.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You might start with the county assessor and county treasurer in the counties where you believe your uncle owned land. Those offices can find the real estate records for tax bills being sent to his address. Those bills can serve as evidence that he was also known by the name listed on that tax bill. I presume that "Opportunity America" is a program operated by the government (my only knowledge of the program is from Wikipedia, however). If so, that program will have records associated with your uncle's social security number. (you will find his social security number on his death certificate) Provide a copy of the death certificate and your letters from the probate court, and request a copy of all information the program has associated with that social security number. You could follow this effort with research assistance from an attorney who has access to TLO.Com for further research.

  2. Difficult question to answer and not sure if you would have authority to probate assets not in the decedent's name. You could start by hiring a private investigator.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

  3. Very interesting question. I believe that is the first time anything like this has been posted on avvo. I agree with Attorney Reed that you would have some practical problems proving identity. For this reason alone, you need to involve a good probate attorney. Mr. Monks has given you some very good advice and practically, receiving account statements and tax statements is probably your best bet at trying to unravel this. It is possible there may be assets held under an alias, that you may never discover. Statements sent to the house will provide you with key insight into the names that he used on the lion's share of his assets. Trying to claim them is going to be the trickier part, in my opinion. How are you going to prove the alias belonged to your uncle?

    James Frederick

    ***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Wills and estates topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics