How do I find my uncle's aliases and how to prove they were him for the probate courts of Oklahoma?

Asked 10 months ago - Shawnee, OK

My uncle worked for Opportunity America and used his aliases for his art. How can I find out what his aliases are and prove they were aliases of his due to the fact he owned land in some of these aliases when he died. I don't know legally where to go. I am the Administrator to his estate.

1. Terrell Monks

2

Best Answer

Answered . You might start with the county assessor and county treasurer in the counties where you believe your uncle owned land. Those offices can find the real estate records for tax bills being sent to his address. Those bills can serve as evidence that he was also known by the name listed on that tax bill. I presume that "Opportunity America" is a program operated by the government (my only knowledge of the program is from Wikipedia, however). If so, that program will have records associated with your uncle's social security number. (you will find his social security number on his death certificate) Provide a copy of the death certificate and your letters from the probate court, and request a copy of all information the program has associated with that social security number. You could follow this effort with research assistance from an attorney who has access to TLO.Com for further research.

2. Celia R Reed

2

Answered . Difficult question to answer and not sure if you would have authority to probate assets not in the decedent's name. You could start by hiring a private investigator.

3. James P. Frederick

1

Answered . Very interesting question. I believe that is the first time anything like this has been posted on avvo. I agree with Attorney Reed that you would have some practical problems proving identity. For this reason alone, you need to involve a good probate attorney. Mr. Monks has given you some very good advice and practically, receiving account statements and tax statements is probably your best bet at trying to unravel this. It is possible there may be assets held under an alias, that you may never discover. Statements sent to the house will provide you with key insight into the names that he used on the lion's share of his assets. Trying to claim them is going to be the trickier part, in my opinion. How are you going to prove the alias belonged to your uncle?

James Frederick