How do I find an expungement attorney in Appleton wi?

Appleton, WI |

Got convicted 17 years ago of attempted auto theft, have turned my life around and would like it off my record so I can get a good job. Been turned down for several once the felony is brought up.

Need to find an attorney to help me get this off my record, since Gov Walker is not doing pardons.

1. As has been posted several times elsewhere on this list, the new law doesn't apply to you, and without the cooperation of the prosecutor and the Judge (good luck with that in Appleton) this is not likely to happen. On the other hand, you don't get what you don't ask for.

If you are serious about paying an experienced attorney to review your situation and take a shot for you, no promises, in Appleton, I'd recommend that you call Attorney Mike Rudolph.

This answer is provided for general information only. No legal advice can be given without a consult as to the specifics of the case.

2. Wisconsin does provide for expungement of lesser felonies, now. It did not 17 years ago. The new law applies only to cases which are sentenced after the date the law became effective.

With the agreement of the prosecutor and the judge it can be done. As Mr. Witt said, in Appleton your chances are between slim and none. That is a better chance than you have with Governor Walker.

There is no such thing as an "expungement lawyer" because there are not enough of these being done after-the-fact to justify anyone specializing in that. You need a good criminal defense lawyer. Mr. Rudolph is such a lawyer.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin http://addbalance.com Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police: http://addbalance.com/police.htm

3. Although expungement statutes will not provide a viable remedy in this case, I have successfully litigated similar cases in Appleton by arguing that the file be sealed and CCAP entry removed, on the basis that the harm to the individual outweighed the public's interest in the record. If interested in pursuing a similar motion, I would be happy to take a consultation with you.