How do I find an attorney to represent my minor child who has been cyber bullied?

The cyber bullying occurred via text/phone and who knows where else. The offender has been manufacturing "evidence" to make it seem that my child was participating in an inappropriate relationship with an adult and then forwarding it to other classmates. There may be more than one offender involved. This is causing my child tremendous anxiety and possible illness. I need to discuss legal remedies as I am not sure that my child's school will respond appropriately. We need help quickly!

Columbus, OH -

Attorney Answers (4)

James C Wing JR

James C Wing JR

Personal Injury Lawyer - Simsbury, CT

There are a few angles to attack.

The school may have a statutory obligation to intervene when a fellow student causes this type of trouble and the administration may be willing to assist even without a statutory mandate because of the disrupting impact the other student(s) are probably having on the school community. Contact the principal first and escalate, if necessary, to the superintendent of the school district.

The behavior is false and defamatory and a civil action may lie.

Criminal charges starting with harassment might be brought.

I do not think that a personal injury lawyer is apt to accept the case since contingency fees are only fair compensation when the damages are significant enough to suggest that the settlement or verdict will large. I recommend an education lawyer, perhaps someone with experience advocating for children with special needs. Although special education issues can be very different from bullying, such attorneys often have experience with school administrators.

I wrote this to help you and others who may face issues like yours in the future. I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you do, please click the thumbs up icon. If this is your question and you find my answer to be the most helpful, please click best answer. I appreciate feedback.

My answer is not legal advice and does not establish a client/attorney relationship. The question may not be a complete or accurate description of the problem and there is no chance to ask a follow up question. It is impossible to give complete advice without a thorough discussion of the facts, such as we would have during an initial consultation. Further, laws are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and are subject to change. So, please, do not act on any information provided without consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who has experience with the kind of issues that concern you.

I wrote this to help you and others who may face issues like yours in the future. I hope you find my response to... more
Sponsored Listing
Kyle J Bristow

Kyle J Bristow

Litigation Lawyer - Clarkston, MI

My firm's websites cover school bullying-related issues and Internet law:

No attorney-client relationship is established via The material posted by Kyle J. Bristow, Esq., is for... more
Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Luckily, Kyle has posted a good link

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

Since your child apparently has not received any treatment for any psychological injuries, and you apparently have not even discussed the issues with the school, it may be premature to speak about attorneys. I suggest you begin by contacting the principal at your school if this is being done during school time or from school property. If the principal cannot take effective action, you then should contact the school superintendent. If the superintendent does not take action, you need to raise the issue with the school board. If that fails, then it may be time to speak with an attorney or call the police.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.