How do I find a pro bono lawyer in Minnesota

Chaska, MN |

My fiance is trying has been trying to fight a case for 6 months now and the first lawyer didnt fight for him at all in court, but he accepted the sentence. He was to turn himself into our local county jail and serve 30 days with work release. He checked in the day instructed; required for work release is a UA. He took his UA the morning he checked in and 2 officers administering it said he passed no problem and he would be going to work (which was expected cause he has been clean 6 years). Monday morning before work the program director entered his cell and said he failed his UA containing 3 drugs. He hired another lawyer on suspicion on tampering in September and he was adamant his case would go back to court and they would fight these accusations. Nothing has happened & no communication

1. Contact the state bar association.

My answers are only intended as general legal advice based on my eighteen years as an Austin criminal defense and DUI attorney. They are not intended to be a binding legal opinion nor to create an attorney - client relationship. For those questions asked outside of Texas, there is no intent on my part to practice law in any other state There is no substitute for contacting a local attorney. Feel free to visit my website, www.austincriminaldenseattorney.com .

2. If he hasn't heard from his lawyer in awhile and the lawyer isn't returning calls/ emails your fiancé should look for someone new. If he qualifies he may be entitled to a public defender. If not, check out mnfindalawyer.com. Most attorneys will offer a free consultation or some, like me, base their fees on a sliding scale depending on individual financial situations.

This answer is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. You need to speak to a lawyer to discuss your specific legal situation and to receive legal advice.

3. I am not personally aware of any pro bono or legal aid societies that provide services to the actively accused, only those in the appeal stage. I am currently forming the Mid-West Defense Lawyers Guild which will hopefully offer some pro bono services in the future, but none at this time. You may want to check with some of the local law schools. They oftentimes have law clinics that may offer some assistance. Best of luck to you.

This information is being provided as a courtesy to assist you in seeking representation. It should not be construed as legal advice or to create the relationship of attorney and client.

4. The Legal Rights Center ( http://www.legalrightscenter.org/ ) might be a good place to check.

This post does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not intended as legal advice. You should consult an attorney about your specific situation for legal advice.