Skip to main content

How do I find a past or pending lawsuit??

Florence, KY |

Is there a website accessible to the public that will show me any past lawsuits or pending lawsuits against a company?

I am interested in forming a class action suit against a former employer. At least 6-7 other individuals have contacted me who have expressed interest in joining. We all live in different states. If we can find an attorney who has filed against this company before, or if we can join in on a pending case. We all have the same complaint. I found one pending lawsuit against this company by doing a Google search. I tried to join but that case was for those who were employed by this company in a particular state only.

I have no access to Westlaw or LexisNexis. Is there a more reliable, and

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Go to and get yourself an account. There will be a bit of a learning curve but you dont need to be a lawyer to search using it, reporters do it all the time....

  2. The thing to do is to see a local attorney for a free consult. The attorney will have access to databases that can locate this information. That is by far the preferred approach, as the attorney can also give you a feel for whether you have a case or not.

    The next option, much less desirable, would be to check with a librarian, law professor, or law student at the closest law school and offer to pay a few hundred dollars for them to search out this information for you. Law schools are teaching law students how to search cases, so the ability to find the information and access to the databases is readily available there.

    Google Scholar/legal documents will sometimes find the information for you.

    You might check here on Avvo under Find A Lawyer and see if an attorney lists some class action cases of your type.

    You might call the lawyer in the case you found and ask for a referral to a lawyer. Perhaps that lawyer is receiving and referring similar cases to out of state attorneys (commonly done in return for referral fees).

    good luck.

    I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

  3. It would be much easier (and more effective) to look for a lawyer who is experienced in handling employment related class actions. My firm has an entire department that handles employment related class actions and many other firms do as well. If your employer is a large national company, then you should seek out they best law firm you can find that handles this type of case -- not look for the needle in a haystack lawyer who sued this company before, and may not have achieved a particularly good result.

    Legal Information is Not Legal Advice My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to provide legal advice or opinions, and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. The answer to the question is for educational and informational purposes only. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the jurisdiction or situation. Accordingly, I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the details of your problem so you can get legal advice tailored to your particular circumstances. I am licensed to practice law in California, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

  4. Visit to search for past and present lawsuits filed in the federal courts.

    I know of no free search tool to locate lawsuits filed in our 50 state court systems. The courts in many large counties, however, have their own internet-searchable court docket. The one for Sacramento is linked-to below.

    The above response is general information ONLY and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney. You should seek the advice of competent counsel before taking any action related to your inquiry.

Class action topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics