Skip to main content

How do I find a lawyer to handle a malpractice suit against another attorney regarding how a divorce was handled.

Everett, WA |

I was given 100% false advise. I am looking for a strong malpractice attorney but one that specializes in Family Law. I have been told, I have a strong case.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Why don't you ask the person who told you you have a strong case for a recommendation for a malpractice lawyer who knows something about family law issues?

    You can also use the Avvo "Find an Attorney" tab to find such an attorney in your local area, or an internet search engine like google.

    "Malpractice" claims are also much more difficult to establish, by the way, than establishing you got bad advice. It must be shown that the attorney caused you some financial damages and it is exclusively the attorney's fault. For example, filing a lawsuit which is dismissed because of the statute of limitations expiring and it was the attorney's fault the lawsuit wasn't started in time.

    On the other hand, if the "100% bad advice" to which you refer was something like the attorney in a divorce action saying he thought you could get spousal maintenance, or attorneys fees from the other side, or a bigger share of community property than you ended up with, or you think (or someone told you) he should have done more depositions or investigation this may not be malpractice. Losing a lawsuit because you think your lawyer was worse than the other lawyer is not malpractice. It's negligent behavior and a failure to come up to an "average" level of skill and knowledge for an attorney, and if the other side just had a better case than you and that's what the trier of fact determined, it's hard to establish that your loss resulted SOLELY from the attorney's "errors or omissions".

    You also have to pay your own lawyer to go after the other lawyer (who is probably covered by insurance), few lawyers will take this kind of case on a "contingency" basis, like a personal injury matter (car accident case where the other driver was 100% at fault and ticketed, for instance).

    Absent the "smoking gun" type of negligence case (like the lawyer missing the statute of limitations example given above), "malpractice" is hard to prove.

    This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

  2. Who told you you have a case? If it was a lawyer, then hire that lawyer. If it was not a lawyer, then that person is not in a position to give you a legal opinion. Take all your information and paperwork to an attorney who handles legal malpractice case and get an opinion. If you have a case, hire the lawyer.

  3. Most malpractice attorneys would not take this case on a contingency fee - you'd have to pay several thousand dollars up front for the trust account, and pay the monthly bills for whatever the hourly fees were. If you are willing to do that, you will probably succeed in finding an attorney to accept your case for investigation. The attorney would (after collection of the initial trust amount) interview you, collect the court records, and then let you know your realistic options.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics