Skip to main content

How do I find a Civil Rights attorney to sue my towns council & police dept for intimidation, harassment & discrimination.

Woodsfield, OH |

We are a middle aged couple, my husband is disabled, we don't have as much as a speeding ticket. For the past 3 years, the police have either been to my house or driven by probably 100 times or more, telling us to move our car you can't park there, or our company move or be towed, other people in the neighborhood park next to their houses and they aren't told to move, the town is supposed to maintain, the road next to our house, they don't, it is mud and grass, I go to council and ask for help and they say to me "why can't you just get along", they have allowed 1 man to harass us since the day we moved in. The only reasons I can come up with is my husband is disabled, we rent our home, so we pay no taxes and don't own property. We live in a small town where they all know each other.

Attorney Answers 1


You call your state bar association and request a referral to a civil rights attorney or you can use avvo 'find-a-lawyer' tab.

FWIW, the council, police, municipality are very likely immune from suit. You CAN sue them of course, but you will lose as they will invoke immunity from suit as a defense. Also, nothing in your post other than your assertions that you are harassed, indicates that you are being harrassed--in short, I don't see anything in your post which would give rise to a law suit. However, maybe a local attorney will. Best of luck to you.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics