HOW do I find a (PRO BONO) attorney to sue Police and NYS for me from out of state? I am currently unemployed.

Amsterdam, NY |

Arrested 4/19/2012 (Felony Assault 2)
(PROVED THAT I HAD A LEGAL RIGHT TO DEFEND MYSELF to the degree necessary as required by THE ELEMENTS OF SELF DEFENSE against a felon convicted MULTIPLE TIMES in TWO STATES; I have no priors of any kind, not even parking tickets).

NOTICE OF INTENT TO FILE A CLAIM was filed W/I 30 days of arrest. (Pro se)

ROR @ in another state with no limitations

WILL BE DISMISSED DUE TO LACK OF PROSECUTION 4/2013.

Diagnosed PTSD. Having to call 3 times a week to the courts is not allowing me to move past the psychological damage of the beating I received.

I am a former public official and libel is involved as well as negligence, etc.

I'm really worried about losing window of opportunity. Having a hard time finding an attorney......

You really need a contingent retainer with an attorney. No money out of pocket, and the lawyer only gets paid if you get paid. Search avvo or the Internet to find one near you. Don't miss the statute of limitations. Do it today!

The author of this posting is a lawyer licensed to practice law in the State of New York. He specializes in litigation matters relating to personal injury, construction accidents, auto accidents, slip and fall, dog bite, contract litigation, property litigation, civil rights, ERISA, and Social Security matters in federal, state and local courts, with a focus on courts in Staten Island, Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx. This posting is intended as general information only, is not provided as legal advice in connection with any specific case, and should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. For more information about me, see http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/10314-ny-gaetano-parrinello-1897122.html?ref=header

Ok, but PLEASE somebody! What IS my statute of limitation on this case? I need to know.

Gaetano Parrinello

Gaetano Parrinello

Go see a lawyer today because it depends upon the type of claims and the parties you want to sue. When you see a lawyer today, he or she can analyze the particular claims and their relevant statutes of limitations. Other than finding a lawyer today and retaining him or her within the next two days, don't rely on what is said in this forum because your statute will expire.

Ok, thank you SO MUCH for answering so quickly!

You will not find someone to do this pro bono. At best you may get someone to take it on contingency but that could be hard because the police need only show there was probable cause to arrest you in order to defeat a false arrest case and they don't have to investigate self-defense.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Oh.. I guess I misunderstood the words "Pro bono" then... I thought that meant they would get a percentage of any proceeds won in the case. I suppose I should look for someone who might represent me on a contingency then? Due to the injuries I received and not having a previous record, and PROOF in the form of the police photos that the only injury sustained by my attacker was a slash wound to the upper arm (and HE is a convicted felon in 2 states for domestic abuse, etc, and considered "extremely dangerous" as per the ACTUAL POLICE REPORTS I submitted to back up my claim..... then the cops won't even go to that house without back up because they KNOW his record... and I was arrested and he wasn't ... none of that would count toward proving anything? I mean, the guy is LITERALLY twice my size..... 4 cops can hang off of him and he acts like they aren't even there! There has to be something I can do......

Oh, and what IS my window of opportunity should I need to pursue this on my own without counsel? Thank you for your prompt response as well!

My attacker did NOT want me arrested by the way if that helps.

The 30-day notice filed for suing a municipality is vital! Even if you don't find a lawyer, do it yourself anyway. As far as finding a pro-bono attorney - that's easy. If you have a good claim, it will likely be a contingency fee based on 1/3 of the award. In that way, there should not be any legal fees paid directly by you.

Well that at least gives me a bit more hope.... Is it 30 days from the date of the dismissal? That will be in April... also, can I do that from out of state? I will need to file it in NY (Fulton county) and I'm in Virginia. Thanks.