How do I fill out a LLC form correctly?

Detroit, MI |

I am having slight trouble filling out my LLC forms and need assistance.

What forms do you mean? You're best off seeing a business lawyer for help, to make sure your LLC ir organized and operates properly. You're also going to want to bring in your CPA, since they'll be the one filing the LLC's tax returns.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE YOU COMMENT, EMAIL ME OR PHONE ME. I'm only licensed in CA. This answer doesn't make me your lawyer, and neither do follow-up comments and/or emails and/or phone calls, and you shouldn't expect me to respond to your further questions if you haven't hired me. We need an actual agreement confirmed in writing before any attorney-client relationship is formed. This answer doesn't constitute legal advice, and shouldn't be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

If you company is large enough to have an attorney and an accountant, they should definitely be consulted. I am assuming that this is not the case and that your issue is with the articles of organization. Unless you are a professional, an "all purpose clause" is permitted. This usually states that the limited liability company is formed for any purpose for which a corporation can be formed under the Business Corporation Act or for which a partnership may be formed.
The Michigan State website has recently become even more confusing. Here are some websites to help you:
The Michigan website is found at:
http://michigan.gov/lara/0,1607,7-154-35299_35413_35429---,00.html

The actual forms you need are at:
http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/dms/results.asp?docowner=BCSC&doccat=LLC&Search=Search

The instructions are he:
http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcsc/forms/corp/llc/265.pdf

Don't hesitate to call them, I have found them to be very helpful. An don't forget to file each year, even if you don't actually use the entity.

This is general information not intended as legal advice. No attorney client relationship has been established. Geraldine Anne Brown is licensed in Michigan an practices Estate Planning, Probate and Elder Law.

If you have a business, income and assets worth protecting, then you need to hire a business attorney with the necessary background and expertise to help you protect them.

I agree with the other attorneys.. . . you might be able to fill in the blanks yourself, but it really is similar to performing surgery on your own appendix:

Very painful.

Very remote possibility of success.

Very fatal if you make a mistake.

So why risk it?

Tax law topics