Skip to main content

How do I filing a stipulation for possession and money judgment

Hayward, CA |
Filed under: Litigation

I have a stipulation for an unlawful detainer case. The stipulation allows for entry of judgment if defendant defaults on settlement payments or fails to move out by specific date. Defendant failed to move out by the date and then failed to make her next settlement payment. What kind of declaration do I need to make and what other forms or documents do I need. Also, I did not file a notice of settlement" is it too late to do so? Do I need to in order to ask for judgment and should I do it now?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

    It is difficult to answer your question without reviewing your case documents. If the stipulation was properly drafted and executed by all parties, it can be filed with the Court. Along with the stipulation, you will need to file a verified declaration setting out facts that would trigger your right to possession and to money damages under the terms of the stipulation. You should also submit a proposed order for the court to sign. Each of the items should be properly served on all parties and proof of service must be attached before filing them with the court clerk. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

  2. I agree with Attorney Mashal, I wonder exactly what you have and what the documents say? If you have a valid and signed stipulation, you can file it with the court along with an ex parte application and declaration asking the court, once you file an underlying complaint and serve it, to enter an order of judgment against the defendant persuant to the terms of the stipulation. Once you get the judgment, you need to serve a notice of entry of judgment and the judgment on the defendant and then if they don't appeal, you begin collection proceedings. I hope they are collectable or it may not be worth pursing depending on the amount owed? Good Luck

    Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client privilege is created by this communication. Attorney is licensed in California only.

  3. In regard to your question, an attorney will have to review the specific language contained in your Stipulation in regard to interpreting exactly what you have to do in regard to compliance. Your interpretation of what the agreement says is not enough for an attorney to formulate a valid opinion. By and through your statement, it appears you do not understand very much about the legal process. On that basis, an attorney can’t formulate an opinion telling you how to move forward without reviewing the underlying documents. You should immediately see an unlawful detainer attorney.

    I hope this is helpful.

    John N. Kitta

    This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service. If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you.

Litigation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics