Skip to main content

How do I file for temporary custody of my grandchild in Virginia?

Richmond, VA |

My son 16 and his girlfriend 15 are expecting their first child and both are still in school. They want to give me temporary custody until they graduate from school. How do we do this?

Attorney Answers 1


Visit the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court for the county or city where you son and girlfriend reside after the child is born. The intake clerk will instruct you on how to file a petition for a determination of custody. Your son and his girlfriend are minors and will require a parent, guardian ad litem or adult representative in order to consent to anything. You will probably not be able to represent your son's interest as a conflict of interest exists. All three parties (with proper legal representation) can enter into a consent order granting you custody of the child provided the judge finds that custody arrangement to be in the best interests of the child.

You would be well advised to consult with a family law lawyer concerning your situation. Many family law lawyers offer free initial consultations.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics