How do I file for spousal support?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hayward, CA

How do I file for spousal support? We have been married for 5 years and 11 months and now separated for almost 2 years and 8 months. We have a child custody order in place already, but I did not ask for spousal support at that time.

Recently my income dropped and I would like to get temporary spousal support, even if it is only for 2 months. Do I have to file Request for order – Spousal Support or there is some other form?

Thank you.

1. John Noah Kitta

Pro

1

3

Answered . You have to file a Motion for Temporary spousal Support and the sooner you file the better, because the court will file retroactive back to the date of the motion.

Since you have been supporting yourself for a period of time it is somewhat more difficult to get spousal but it should not be impossible in regard to temporary spousal support, which is usually systematically given out. Your maximum duration probably would be one half the duration of the marriage. You also have to file and Income and Expense declaration.

It would really be a lot better if you did retain counsel, things would go far more smoothly.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

1

Answered . You have to file an OSC and it may take 30 days to 2 months to get heard. Set forth the drop and why you need it now

3. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

Answered . File the Request For Order and also file your Income And Expense Declaration. Typically, spousal support can last as long as one half the length of the marriage, but here you are asking for temporary spousal support, so it might be possible. You can also ask for an Order Shortening Time to have your motion heard more quickly.