Skip to main content

How do I file for legal separation without an attorney?

Rock Hill, SC |

I understand I have to be legally separated for one year before I can get divorced. I cannot afford an attorney at this point. Where do I go in Rock Hill SC to file for legal separation? How much will it cost? We do not have a house or children together but we do have some debts.

Attorney Answers 1


You do not need to file for legal separation. Legal separation in SC occurs at the time that you and your husband stop cohabitating (living together under the same roof AND no longer have sexual relations) with the intent for that situation to remain permanent. There is no requirement that this is filed or documented somewhere. Once you have lived separate and apart without cohabitation for a year, then you can file for a divorce based upon the one year period of separation

Mark as helpful

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics