How do I file for legal separation in Indiana without a lawyer?

Asked over 2 years ago - Algonquin, IL

My ex & I have filled out a separation agreement online & have come to an agreement about everything. We don't have a lot to spend on legal fees how do I file this? Also, what does it cost to do so? We lived in Indiana & he is still there for the time being. I am in Illinois with our children.

1. Gary L. Schlesinger

4

Answered . an indiana attorney can answer your question. however, you may be able to file here in illinois. go see a divorce lawyer in illinois now. also consult with one in indiana. use the state that can get you the best result.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

3

Answered . Are you looking for a divorce or a legal separation? Either way, it should cost you about the same but there isn't much finality to a legal separation. You will always have children's issues. Even if you do not have a lot of money for legal fees, you are well advised to seek the services of an experienced attorney who can reduce your agreement to writing and get you through the with undue confusionbureaucracy or delay. Keep in mind that if you do not set this up correctly from the start it could cause you countless nightmares - and lost of extra fees - in the future. (We call that penny wise and pound foolish.) Best wishes to you.

3. Elizabeth A. Demonte

1

Answered . It might be easier for you to file in Illinois, if you can establish the jurisdictional requirements. You should talk to a lawyer in Illinois before filing in Indiana.