How do I file for legal separation in Indiana without a lawyer?

Algonquin, IL |

My ex & I have filled out a separation agreement online & have come to an agreement about everything. We don't have a lot to spend on legal fees how do I file this? Also, what does it cost to do so? We lived in Indiana & he is still there for the time being. I am in Illinois with our children.

an indiana attorney can answer your question. however, you may be able to file here in illinois. go see a divorce lawyer in illinois now. also consult with one in indiana. use the state that can get you the best result.

Are you looking for a divorce or a legal separation? Either way, it should cost you about the same but there isn't much finality to a legal separation. You will always have children's issues. Even if you do not have a lot of money for legal fees, you are well advised to seek the services of an experienced attorney who can reduce your agreement to writing and get you through the with undue confusionbureaucracy or delay. Keep in mind that if you do not set this up correctly from the start it could cause you countless nightmares - and lost of extra fees - in the future. (We call that penny wise and pound foolish.) Best wishes to you.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

I mis-read your question. If you are looking for a legal separation in Indiana, you need the services of an Indiana attorney. Why do you wish to file in Indiana and why do you wish to be legally separated?

Right now we are going for legal separation so I still have health insurance. I have been a stay at home mom for the past 8 1/2 years & have to go find employment.

It might be easier for you to file in Illinois, if you can establish the jurisdictional requirements. You should talk to a lawyer in Illinois before filing in Indiana.

Elizabeth A. Demonte Anderson & Associates P.C. 630.653.9400. The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

What are jurisdictional requirements ? I move into my own apartment with the boys on Thursday & he is moving to the area in a month. Would it be better to hold off until then so we dont have to go to court in Indiana?

Elizabeth A. Demonte

Elizabeth A. Demonte

Yes, if you are both going to be living in Illinois, you should file for legal separation in Illinois. Do you live in Kane County or McHenry County? If you have been living in the county for the past 90 days, then you can file for divorce or separation in that county. I see that your reason for filing for separation is because you need health insurance. There are ways to do that in a divorce. You really should talk to a lawyer before you file. I would be happy to meet with you at my office for a free initial consultation.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Recommended articles about Divorce