How do I file for guardianship?

Asked about 1 year ago - Stockbridge, GA

My mother and father have had guardianship of my 13 year old nephew for 10 years. His brother 14 whom also was under my parents care did some things that got him sent away for awhile and and the state where they live, New Hampshire required the boys not able to live together anymore. Now I have had the 13 year old here in Georgia for the past 2 months. he has started school and is living with me. How do I file for guardianship. My parents are willing to give up their rights to him. The mother and father's parental rights have not been terminated but they are in no position right now to get their children back. The original guardianship that my parents received was done here in Henry County. I am sure the mother will file for custody but for now I need the right to make decisions legally

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Mark David Brynteson

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to make an appointment to see an attorney handles this type of case in your area and discuss your situation in detail. More facts are required.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,773 answers this week

2,937 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,773 answers this week

2,937 attorneys answering