How do I file for divorce in Massachusetts, if I don't know where my spouse is?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chicopee, MA

I want a divorce but I don't know where my spouse is.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

11

34

Best Answer

Answered . You may file a divorce by publication. I am sorry you are gotng throught this during the holidays and I hope things work out. This should not be a complicated nor an expensive matter. Take care.

2. Philip W. Mason

Pro

9

Answered . You can file for divorce at your local Probate and Family Court. You will be filing under MGL § 1B (contested divorce). The court clerk can provide you with the necessary forms and you can obtain guidance form the lawyer for a day program if you need help. You’ll need a copy of your marriage certificate and $220.00 for the filing fee. If you can’t afford the fee ask for an affidavit of indigency — the fee may be waived.

Once you have filed you can give notice to your missing wife by publication and proceed with or with out her.

3. Todd Allen Davidson

6

Answered . As my colleague stated, you can have a divorce by publication. After that, if your spouse is still missing or hiding, you will be able to have your divorce completed without the presence of your spouse.

I do not know how long you have been looking for your spouse or what methods you have used, but if you have only been looking for your spouse for a short amount of time, I would first continue to try to locate your spouse.

Either way, if you wish to get divorced, it will happen and if you need help seek the help of a good family attorney.

4. Henry Lebensbaum

4

Answered . There is more than one way to locate your spouse. There are data bases which can be tapped to locate your spouse.

Does this answer your question?