How do I file for divorce if I don't know where my wife is or if she's alive ?

Asked 10 months ago - Baltimore, MD

She left about 20 yrs ago I would like to get my divorce so i can get married by the end of the summer . I have no idea where she is or if she's alive we've had no contact since she left .

I believe my fiance has found her searching or the internet we have an address and phone # it looks like she is living with her son in Portage, MI , should contact him and see if she is or where to find her ?

1. Timothy Joseph Mummert

Pro

1

Answered . I would recommend contacting a lawyer. Many attorneys are familiar with skills to track down a person and have access to public records search. If the person cannot be found, the lawyer knows the procedure for obtaining service by alternative means.

There is a process that needs to be filed to get the divorce. While this can be done on your own, there is no guarantee the court will find your steps used were adequate.

This is a service that my office provides.

2. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

1

Answered . An attorney would do what you can do, hire an investigator to track her down. You might discover she has died and that you do not need a divorce. So the first step is to find out if she is still alive, and if so, where is she located. If you spend a few hundred dollars with an investigator, then you should get some quick results, one way or another. You should first of all exhaust all means of finding her, even if it costs more than a few hundred dollars to pay an investigator.

If she turns up alive, then hire an attorney and move the divorce along. You have the right to divorce her whether she agrees or not.