How do I file for divorce if I don't know where my wife is or if she's alive ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Baltimore, MD

She left about 20 yrs ago I would like to get my divorce so i can get married by the end of the summer . I have no idea where she is or if she's alive we've had no contact since she left .

Additional information

I believe my fiance has found her searching or the internet we have an address and phone # it looks like she is living with her son in Portage, MI , should contact him and see if she is or where to find her ?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Timothy Joseph Mummert


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I would recommend contacting a lawyer. Many attorneys are familiar with skills to track down a person and have access to public records search. If the person cannot be found, the lawyer knows the procedure for obtaining service by alternative means.

    There is a process that needs to be filed to get the divorce. While this can be done on your own, there is no guarantee the court will find your steps used were adequate.

    This is a service that my office provides.

  2. David Raymond Mahood


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . An attorney would do what you can do, hire an investigator to track her down. You might discover she has died and that you do not need a divorce. So the first step is to find out if she is still alive, and if so, where is she located. If you spend a few hundred dollars with an investigator, then you should get some quick results, one way or another. You should first of all exhaust all means of finding her, even if it costs more than a few hundred dollars to pay an investigator.

    If she turns up alive, then hire an attorney and move the divorce along. You have the right to divorce her whether she agrees or not.

    Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Decree

A divorce decree is the order a judge will issue that finalizes a divorce after proceedings have ended.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,577 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,577 answers this week

2,871 attorneys answering