How do I file for bankruptcy in NY ? How much does it coast ?

Flushing, NY |

How long does it take ? What are the requirements to be illegible for bankruptcy?

It depends on the type of bankruptcy and the reasons you are using bankruptcy. Chapter 7 11, or 13? the costs between the three vary widely.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Theodore Lyons Araujo

Theodore Lyons Araujo

There are no true requirements. You have to analyze it on a case by case basis. A Chapter 7 lasts approximately five (5) months from filing date to the end of the case if there are no assets.

The question how to file for bankruptcy in NY is too broad for anyone to answer here. There is simply too much information to try to cram even into a seminar, never mind a written out answer. Cost depends on what type of bankrutpcy and how much is involved? Chapter 7, just generally speaking average lawyer would probably charge about $1,500, could be more if there some issues in the case or less. Chapter 13, generally, $3,600, although portion of fees can be covered through the chapter 13 payment plan. You also have different court fees, depending on the chapter. Chapter 7 is $306 currently. Chapter 13 is $281. Here's a link to the New York Bankruptcy court website that may offer you some insight. http://www.nysb.uscourts.gov/bankruptcy-information
http://www.nysb.uscourts.gov/understanding-bankruptcy

I am not YOUR lawyer. You should not rely on answers to questions as legal advice. For legal advice you should contact a law firm for a consultation. Tokarska Law Center 185 West F Street #100, San Diego, CA 92101 (619) 285-1992 www.sdbankrupt.com Tokarska Law Center is a Federal Debt Relief Agency representing individuals and businesses in filing for bankrutpcy protection under the U.S. Bankrutpcy Code.

You ask a great question, but as we say "loaded question". How to file bankruptcy can be explained by a competent bankruptcy lawyer. How much it costs, depends on how much work is involved. Best to you! Cases usually start at about $1,899 plus costs.

Every attorney charges differently and the time frame also depends on the type of Bankruptcy you are filing. You may contact me and I can refer you to an attorney.

It depends upon what Chapter your are filing and the complexity of your case. As for eligibility, there are certain criteria that you must meet to qualify for a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt