How do I file for an uncontested divorce in New York with little money? I'm on SSI and am broke, don't know what to do.

Asked about 2 years ago - Middletown, NY

We were married for almost five years, were married in Las Vegas, she is currently a resident of California, and I'm currently a resident of New York State. She can't file for financial reasons, and I need to file ASAP but my only source of income is my disability check from Social Security. Thank you for your time.

1. Howard A. Schwartz

3

Answered . You can go to the court clerk in the county you reside and see if they have a handbook for pro se litigants or go to the new York state office of court administration website to see about processing the divorce on your own. Good luck

2. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

3

Answered . Not only are the forms available online but so are very detailed instructions. This may be easiest.

3. Robert A. Stumpf

2

Answered . You could do it yourself if you want, or you can hire an attorney that will work with you somehow.

4. Leta Liou

Pro

2

Answered . You may go to the Supreme Court, Matrimonial Part to obtain the uncontested divorce packet. If the paperwork becomes too tedious or confusing for you to handle on your own, do keep in mind that there are attorneys who can represent you and take care of the paperwork/filing for you at a relatively low cost--or who are willing to work out a payment plan for you.

Feel free to call me anytime for a free telephone consulation to weigh out your options. (646) 587-0188
    Sincerely,
    Leta Liou, Esq.
    The Law Firm of Liou & Maisonet, PLLC
    124 Nassau Street, Suite 2
    New York, New York 10038
    (646) 587-0188
    www.DivorceInNYC.com

Serving Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk, Westchester, Rockland and Orange Counties.