How do I file for an annulment in Maryland?

Greenbelt, MD |

I realize that there are certain issues that must exist for an annulment to be granted, but assuming that at least one of these is in existence, what are the forms I need to fill out? Is there anything else that I need to know about before going into this process?

1. I am not aware of any forms that exist for filing for an annulment. You can file a complaint in the circuit court requesting an annulment and stating your grounds for the request. In general annulments are difficult to accomplish unless you have specific proof that the marriage is void or voidable. You may have better luck filing for divorce.

2. Agreed. Annulments are fairly difficult in Maryland as there is a general policy to preserve marriages. That's probably why there are no pre-printed forms for annulment in any Maryland Circuit Court. Even if you could find some, it wouldn't do you much good because to get an annulment you need evidence, you're not going to get an annulment by filling out a form.

You need to understand the annulment laws, understand the difference between void and voidable marriages, and you also need to understand divorce laws. A brief consult with an attorney would probably help you make up your mind as to which is better. You'll save yourself a lot of headache by doing your homework now.

3. There are no online forms for annulment through the Maryland Judicary website that I am aware. Getting an annulment is not easy, but possible. We just finished one in Maryland. It would be best if you consulted a lawyer in your community before expending filing fees and the time and effort only to be denied by a Court. Bigamy is generally the easiest to prove. That is where a person is still married at the time you gor married.