How do I file for an appeal for child custody in California if the case started in Arizona

Asked about 2 years ago - Riverside, CA

Include background information that will enable lawyers to answer your question.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Herb Fox

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your question cannot be answered as it is framed. If you want to appeal a child custody decision by an Arizona court, you will have to do so in California. Please provide more information.

    Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or... more
  2. Michael Roger Schneider

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If the child custody order was made in Arizona, then you will have to file your appeal in Arizona. If you are simply trying to modify the custody, then you have an entirely different question. To modify in California, you would have to register the order in California, and then modify it. Or, you would need for the Arizona court to transfer the case to California. But, if the other parent is in Arizona, then the case may never get transferred. More information is definitely needed. Good luck!

  3. Timothy A. Provis


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Dear ?,

    If your divorce took place in Arizona, the first thing to do is contact the lawyer who represented you for basic information about this. Then you need to consult with a California family law lawyer.
    You should be able to find one right here on Avvo by clicking on Find a Lawyer at the top of this page or in the Yellow Pages.

    Yours sincerely,
    Tim Provis
    Cal. Bar No. 104800
    Wis. Bar No. 1020123
    Member: U.S. Supreme Court Bar

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Child custody appeals

Custody appeals are generally only possible in cases where the custody order was both meant to resolve all custody issues and has already been finalized.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,482 answers this week

3,164 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,482 answers this week

3,164 attorneys answering