Skip to main content

How do I file Contempt of Court against a business?

Titusville, FL |

My ex-husband's employer has not complied with an Income Deduction Order that they were sent via certified mail almost 40 days ago. I read on the Court's website that they have 15 days to start the deductions. They have not complied. They will not return my calls. By the 4th call I demanded a live person, who then told me "rules and regulations prevent her from telling me any status on the IDO". Palm Beach County Court implied that I should file Contempt of Court against the business. I have the motion. Do I list only the company as Respondent, or do I need to list my ex-husband ? Do I have to put a specific person from the company, or just the company name? Do I reference the same case number? I did the divorce and child support on my own without a lawyer. Thank you for your help

I finally got a hold of someone at the company. They told me they will not implement my IDO because it is dated to begin 2011, signed by the Judge January 2012. He has not had a "real" job since then so this is the first time I could use it. The woman told me "it is too old and needs to be updated with his current income and their company information on it." I explained to her that the Notice to Payor has the company name, and the IDO itself states "any present or subsequent employers/payors of obligor". I talked to the Court and they said everything I filed is correct. The company said they will have their attorney call me to explain why they are not implementing this IDO. I am awaiting their call. UPDATE - Last week I went to an attorney and now today I received a phone call from the company and they said that they made a "mistake". They are implementing the order this next pay period. It is sad that it took an attorney making a call to get it taken care of when I had done everything correctly.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The ex husband is a party to the action and must be in the style of the case. You do not have to put a specific person, just the company name. It is the same case number. Good luck.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239


You would likely need to designate the payroll department officer or something to that effect. Have not had that come up though. interesting that they will not abide by it.....I think that there has been a miscommunication.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.


Have you attempted communication in writing first before considering additional court action?

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.



No, I have not. I will consider that though, but I am not sure what to say to demand a resolution and the payments they have missed. Right now they have missed two pay periods so I lost $1,500 I could have received. He owes me over $30,000 so it is important that they start this ASAP before the next pay period. As of now, they will not communicate with me via phone, I am not sure what a letter would do.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer