Skip to main content

How do I file charges against someone who forged my name on a lease contract?

Ossining, NY |

My former boyfriend forged my name on a marina slip lease and hasn't paid the monthly bill in several years. He owes over $13,000 and I can't get my boat out.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Get in contact with local law enforcement and see if they will start a criminal prosecution. The fact that the crime occurred years ago may present a problem. Good luck.

    I have been a criminal attorney in New York for almost 25 years. website: Phone #: 718-208-6094 email: This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

  2. Call the police. If they decline to prosecute, you may have civil remedies. One question that will arise is if you were benefitting from the use of the marina, how did you not know that someone was supposed to be paying?

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

  3. Call the police if you cannot settle this dispute with him.

  4. Contact the local police or DA.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics