How do I File an time extension to respond to a Summons?

Asked 4 months ago - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I received a Judicial Summons about 25 days ago (June 11). I know I have 30 days to respond so I have very little time. Unfortunately, I've been going through a lot of personal issues and haven't had the time to sit down and really weigh-in on my options on how to go about the situation so now I need more time to respond and perhaps seek out legal advice. Is there a particular form I could fill out and submit to the court asking for a time extension to respond?

Thank you in Advance.

I live in the state of CA by the way.

1. Alan Ray Barnes

6

Answered . If you do not file a responsive pleading in a timely manner, a default will be entered against you. The court cannot and will not grant you an extension.

If you are unable to attend to this matter yourself, your best bet is to retain an attorney to handle it for you. Good luck.

2. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

5

Answered . ..SORRY but no extension is given to response to summons...but an attorney can help you to answer ASAP and serve the answer within time. Some times also you can file counter claim against the plaintiff depending from the facts... There are law offices that can help you with quick and efficient response...
    do not loose the time to respond

3. William Nicholas Blasser

Pro

3

Answered . For your question, I am assuming you are referring to a civil summons that you received along with a complaint. If this is not the case, please disregard my advice. Once you are served, you have 30 days from the date of service to respond. If the other side will agree, however, you can get an extension of 15 days to file your response. See California Rule of Court 3.110(e). If you are not comfortable speaking with the opposing attorney, or if he/she will not agree to the continuance, I recommend you speak with an attorney to see what your options are. While you may proceed to represent yourself, I would not recommend doing so. Good luck.

4. Kevin Samuel Sullivan

Pro

1

Answered . hire an attorney who handles these cases all the time to get a response on file for you.