How do I file an Amended Petition for Dissolution of Marriage in Dekalb County? I can't find a form for this anywhere.

Sycamore, IL |

My ex is no longer showing up for court. He appeared the first time that is it. I have to have him served a copy of this and soon, I don't even know what to go file. I can't find it anywhere.

you could hire a lawyer to help you with this.

how do you know you have to have him served with a copy of what you have not yet filed? what is the need for an amended petition? is it because you used irreconcilable differences as the grounds and have not been separated for two years?

it sounds as if you would be best served by hiring a laywer.

I can not afford a lawyer. Yes I used irreconcilable differences , I was being nice. On my last court date the judge told me to file an amended Petition of dissolution of marriage and to have him served with a copy so we can move further on this.

I have been separated for roughly 5 years.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

if you have been separated for 5 years, then you have irrec. diff with a two year separation. there is thus no need for anything else. but the judge said otherwise. you are in a technical mess. whatever your job is, i cannot do it. you cannot be a divorce lawyer for yourself. please find funds from friends or relatives or both to hire a lawyer. if your ex is no longer coming to court, the case should not be expensive.

These documents are easy to come by and are available at literally hundreds, if not thousands, of locations near you. Swing by an attorney's office and ask to have one prepared for you.

If you have to ask how to do it, you shouldn't -- you should hire a lawyer.

I am on disability, I am not getting any child support. I can not afford a lawyer. If I could, I would hire one. I was just hoping there was a form somewhere. I've been to the law library and got nowhere. I've been to websites that the courthouse has sent me to. I was just hoping I could possibly get help on here it's pretty much a last resort.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger

an amended petition is the same as the original petition in form except it says amended at the top.

It sounds like you have no clue what you are doing. You can argue that you cannot afford a lawyer but fixing what you might mess up will cost you even more. There is no such thing as a form for an amended Petition for Dissolution. Please at least consult with a lawyer. You are in over your head.