Skip to main content

How do I file an administrative claim in the State of Georgia for constitutional rights violation by a City

Atlanta, GA |

I Rented an Apartment in the City of Sandy Springs from a landlord, GA. He refused to make repairs to the apartment, so we reported him to City Code. The city Code went to court and brought back Citations for not only him, but for me because of illegal wiring that I had nothing to do with. I was wrongfully tried and convicted. The court did not offer me a lawyer and they followed wrong court procedures.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Consult with a civil rights attorney about your specific ASAP. If you missed the short timeframe in which you may file a claim you may have no legal claim.

    FYI, court not required to offer you a lawyer for civil case.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  2. Wrongly tried and convicted? I would consult with the attorney you hired to represent you, or if you did not, consult with an attorney skilled in appeals, in state constitutional law, in federal constitutional law, and in landlord tenant actions. It may take some research and digging.

    Good luck .

    For more information or more personalized attention, please contact my office at (602) 638-3790 or visit my firm's website at

  3. You should read carefully the "Citations" issued against you. They should state what are your appeal rights, if any. You should immediately contact the city attorney's office, make an in-person appointment to visit with the city attorney in charge of your "citations." You should obtain a copy of the city code cited in the "Citations." The city code may explain your next appeal steps. You should consult a real estate litigator in your community to determine whether or not you, as the tenant, are liable for the "Citations" and whether or not you have an "inverse condemnation" claim. Nothing in this remarks constitute legal advice and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. I am not licensed to practice law in Georgia.

  4. Best to run this by your lawyer.

State, local, and municipal law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics