How do I file a writ of garnishment in texas?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Fort Worth, TX

I filed a claim in small claims court about two years ago and won. I have yet to collect the money owed to me. I would like information on the next steps to take to receive payment. How would I obtain writ of garnishment foms? What are the precedures in filing?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Lu Ann Trevino


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

    Garnishment is not allowed in Texas to collect civil debts except federal taxes and payment of some federal student loans. It is a violation of the Texas Constitution. It does not matter if your wages are paid by an out of state company. Child support payments are withholding not garnishment.

  2. Daniel Joseph Ciment


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You do have the option of garnishing the person bank account. While it is true that you cant garnish wages in Texas, once the wages go into the bank they are not considered wages anymore and are subject to garnishment.

    You probably need an attorney to do as it is complciated. It involves filing a lawsuit against the persons bank, which means you need to know where they bank.

  3. Theodore Lyons Araujo


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You should file this question under litigation. This is not a bankruptcy question. Good luck.

    Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now