How do I file a writ of garnishment in texas?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Fort Worth, TX

I filed a claim in small claims court about two years ago and won. I have yet to collect the money owed to me. I would like information on the next steps to take to receive payment. How would I obtain writ of garnishment foms? What are the precedures in filing?

1. Lu Ann Trevino

Pro

1

Answered . These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

Garnishment is not allowed in Texas to collect civil debts except federal taxes and payment of some federal student loans. It is a violation of the Texas Constitution. It does not matter if your wages are paid by an out of state company. Child support payments are withholding not garnishment.

2. Daniel Joseph Ciment

Pro

1

Answered . You do have the option of garnishing the person bank account. While it is true that you cant garnish wages in Texas, once the wages go into the bank they are not considered wages anymore and are subject to garnishment.

You probably need an attorney to do as it is complciated. It involves filing a lawsuit against the persons bank, which means you need to know where they bank.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

1

Answered . You should file this question under litigation. This is not a bankruptcy question. Good luck.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now