Skip to main content

How do I file a quite title for my home in LA, Calif

Malibu, CA |

Is it difficult to do or how much will an attorney cost

Attorney Answers 3


Depending on the specifics of why you need to file a Quiet Title Action, will determine the approximate attorney fees. In some cases attorney fees and costs can be recovered from the party who clouded title to your property. Some quiet title cases are simple and others can become quite involved but are generally best handled by an experienced real estate attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


A quiet title action requires that you prove that your title is superior to all others. You need to follow the rules of procedure, name and serve all known parties, record a notice of pendency of action, and obtain a judgment quieting title. The outcome will depend on your proof. The cost will depend on the issues involved and whether anyone alleges title superior to yours. Initial filing and recording costs are approximately $500. Service costs will add to that sum. Attorney fees will run from several thousand to 10s of thousands and more. If your title is contested it can become a very complex case. Can you do this yourself – very unlikely.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful


A quiet title action is difficult to do and will probably cost you several thousand dollars.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics