Skip to main content

How do I file a petition for judicial review MYSELF to reinstate my license on a DWI?

Shakopee, MN |

Charged With 4Th Degree Dwi, Open Container, & Improper Lane Use. I Drive for A Living. First Offense. Was Stopped After Another Driver Reported Me swerving. Failed(?) Roadside Test. Unknown Roadside BAC. No Miranda On Site. Audio Recorded At Pd. I Gave Consent To Breath "Because Refusal Is Worse." 0.10 BAC (Breath) At Pd. 0.092 BAC At Jail.

Cannot Work Without DL. Most Employers Won't Hire My Position With A Dwi. Need Money. Need Work. NEED HELP!

Attorney Answers 4


Although this is a proceed in which you can petition the court yourself, it may be in your best interest to seek the help of an attorney. With that being said, visit, I believe you can find the necessary forms on that site. I wish you the best of luck.

Andrew Leone

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You would be wise to retain counsel. There are many defenses in a DWI case and in the license revocation - Implied Consent proceeding presently. This includes Motions to suppress blood alcohol evidence based on the recent U.S. Supreme Court case of Missouri v. McNeely. WIthout counsel, it is unlikely that you will be able to effectively petition or argue the necessary issues. If it is a financial issue, there are attorneys who offer "unbundled services" where they will draft necessary documents or provide coaching for self represented persons at a much lower hourly rate.

Maury D. Beaulier, Esq.
(612) 240-8005

CALL 612-240-8005 for a Consultation. Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter. Visit online at

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


You should hire an attorney to do this for you as there are certain jurisdictional requirements and timeframes that must be followed. If you do not want to hire an attorney you can call the court in the county this was committed and ask for assistance in filing the petition.

You should consult with an attorney though. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


According to your information, you submitted this question from Shakopee, which is in Scott County. If your offense happened there, you should understand that the filing of the Implied Consent petition will not give you the opportunity to get your driving privileges reinstated. The only two counties where this can be done on most DWI cases are Hennepin and Ramsey.

Regardless of the county of your offense, you owe it to yourself and your career to hire an experienced DWI defense attorney to give you the best opportunity to win. Many of us can accept credit and some of us will also do payment plans if financing is a problem. Don't assume that you can't afford an attorney. What you REALLY can't afford is to waste your opportunity to try to keep this off your record by trying to do it on your own. Call one of us immediately for a consultation and quote.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics