Skip to main content

How do i file a motion to reduce the amount of child support arrears?

Broomfield, CO |
Filed under: Child support arrears

i currently pay $700 for support and $1500 for arrears?

Attorney Answers 3


You can just download a blank motion form from the Colorado Judicial Branch website domestic forms section and fill out the reasons that you feel that the monthly arrears payment is too high and you need to have it reduced. Remember, it was set at that high level for some reason at some time, so you need to be prepared to argue that it is no longer fair and equitable based on changed circumstances.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


The total amount of child support arrears cannot be changed. Past child support is a final judgment. However, you may be able to adjust the payments.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC at (303) 531-5380 or Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Child support is based upon your current gross income, the other party's gross income, expenses paid for the child including but not limited to health insurance, day care, extraordinary expenses, and also on the number of overnights held by each party. You can run the child support by keying these numbers into a worksheet. If your support would decrease by at least 10%, then you can file a motion to modify.

I have attached a link below for the child support guidelines.

This legal information is provided for general legal purposes and does not establish a client-attorney relationship. Because of the limited information provided in the question, it is difficult to be certain that Counsel is answering the question correctly. You are encouraged to seek further information from an attorney directly so that follow up questions may be asked if necessary.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics