How do I file a motion to dismiss a judgement lien in my primary property? What form do I need to submit?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Sunnyvale, CA

The judgement lien came first before I filed my bancruptcy chapter 7 petition. My petition is still under process. The creditor is included in my petition.

Thanks

1. Bruce Allan Wilson

2

1

Answered . Generally, stripping off a judgment lien against real property is not permitted in a Chapter 7 proceeding. However, in a Chapter 13 proceeding you may be able to strip/remove the judgment lien from the property, but that depends upon the fair market value of the property and the debt.

The question is what do you intend to do with the property in Chapter 7? Surrender the property (in which case the judgment lien would not matter) or reaffirm the secured debts and keep it or is their suffient equity beyond the homestead exemption for the Chapter 7 trustee to consider selling it.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

1

1

Answered . You cannot. Unless you are in a Chapter 13 bankruptcy, the judgment lien remains following your bankruptcy discharge.

3. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

2

1

Answered . You can file a motion in a Chapter 7 to AVOID a judgment lien, but that is different than dismissing the lien. The basis for this type of motion would be that the lien impairs your homestead exemption.

This kind of motion is very tricky to handle, as timing, noticing and evidentiary requirements are crucial. I have seen inexperienced lawyers spend over a year going back and forth into court struggling to correctly resolve this issue. What a nightmare this must have been for both the attorney & the client.

This is not something you want to try on your own unless you have lots of time to waste & patience. Hire an experienced attorney to represent you on this.

Hope this perspective helps!