How do I file a motion for discovery in Washington state? I am scheduled for a summary judgment hearing in 10 days. Thanks.

Asked almost 4 years ago - Seattle, WA

- This is for a debt collection suit.
- I'm concerned about a possible deadline.
-Also, what are all the forms required?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You don't have to ask permission to do discovery in WA and there are no forms. If there is a summary judgment hearing in 10 days, your response may all ready be too late. You'll want to review the local rules and the state rules to determine whether it is too late for you to respond or not.

    The moving party has the burden to prove that there are no issues of material fact and that the moving party is entitled to judgment as a matter of law. All inferences are drawn in favor of the non moving party. But when you represent yourself you have to understand and use the rules, you don't get a free pass just because you are representing yourself.

    All the rules are at this link:

    Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,745 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,745 answers this week

3,080 attorneys answering