Skip to main content

How do I file a motion for a new court appointed attorney?

Houston, TX |

I have court tomorrow for cps case. My court appointed attorney has done nothing for me and is telling me I have no choice but to sign over my rights. I have done everything that they have told me and even paid out of pocket expenses, passed all drug tests and never missed a visit with my son

Attorney Answers 1


First, the judge has to approve any change of counsel in your case. Most judges are reluctant to assign a new lawyer once one has been appointed. You may have the option to hire private counsel. Judges are more likely (though it's not guaranteed) to approve a change of counsel for private retained lawyers.

I would recommend you spend whatever time you have left trying to retain private counse and asking your current lawyer to explain his advice. Why is he recommending you sign over your rights? It's one thing to be upset with your lawyer, but first make sure you understand his reasoning.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics