How do I file a money judgment without a lawyer ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Clair Shores, MI

property settlement since 2008 from divorce and amount is $ 3 , 025 . 00

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Henry S. Gornbein


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your question raises questions. First a divorce judgment governs. Does your judgment specify the amount that is owed? If so, then you can take steps with the court to enforce the judgment including any amounts owed. Talk to an attorney for more advice and information. Good luck to you.
    Henry Gornbein

  2. John F. Brennan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . File a show cause in the court where the divorce was granted to enforce the judgment. You would be wise to engage as attorney to assist yourself. Call my offices or another attorney of your choice for counsel and an appointment. l

    To the PROSPECTIVE client, please call myself or another attorney for your choice with more detaiils and an... more
  3. Peter L. Conway

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the provision for $3,025 is contained in your divorce judgment, you already have a money judgment. Now the question is, how do you enforce the judgment.

    I understand that you are not dealing with a lot of money and you would prefer to not pay it all to another attorney. That said, it may be in your best interests to consult either with the lawyer help your divorce or another lawyer so that you can learn some of the things that will help you to be successful in court.

    Not that you asked, but it interest can be awarded, at the discretion of the judge, on payments that are overdue and that are owed pursuant to a judgment.

    It if I can be of further assistance, please call me at (810) 664-1388.

    The best of luck to you.

    Peter Conway

    I am licensed to practice law in Michigan and Virginia and regularly handle cases of this sort. You should not... more
  4. Rebecca Lynne Melone

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . A simple show cause hearing will likely show she is in default, hold her in contempt, and give her a set time period in which to pay. An attorney can assist you in drafting the right documents, ensuring procedural requirements are met, and conducting the hearing.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,423 answers this week

2,793 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,423 answers this week

2,793 attorneys answering