How do I file a lien on my employer for non payment of wages ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Simla, CO

the owner of a café in Simla still owes back wages to me from back on sept 1st to nov 6th he is trying to sell the café then he says he will pay, I don't trust him, can I file a lien on the café ? if so where do I get the forms.

1. Robert Samuel Hoover

3

Best Answer

Answered . Contact the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment (303) 318-8441 or 1-888-390-7936, or visit their website's complaint page at http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDLE-Labor.... Good luck!

2. Stephen Clark Harkess

2

Answered . You would have to sue and obtain a judgment against the employer. Once you have that, you can record the judgment as a lien against the property. It is also theoretically possible to file for a prejudgment attachment to freeze the asset prior to getting a judgment, but the standard is very very high. You essentially cannot get the court to authorize that unless you have evidence (not just a suspicion) that the defendant is planning to abscond with the money without paying the debt.

3. V. Jonas Urba

Pro

3

Answered . Contact the Colorado Dept of Labor. Mechanics Liens are generally limited to those who improve real property if that was what you were considering. Consult with a licensed Colorado employment lawyer if you decide to pursue a claim for unpaid wages.

Not legal advice / No lawyer/client relationship.
  4. Jason Carl Kennedy

1

Answered . I am unaware of any mechanism for / law permitting a lien against an employer for back wages.