How do I file a lawsuit out of state.

10128 |

I'm suing an ex business partner over fraud , breach of contract,negligence , unpaid loans,and loans I've had to take because of the situation. I've got evidence that this person has done this stuff to multiple people in the past, through statements. The contract that was breached, evidence that shows the contract was breached, and evidence to support all my claims ten times over. I'm suing for $13000. It's an easy case. I just need help proceeding. The person I'm suing lives near Scranton pa

Show the contract to an attorney, It may have provisions that state where and in what court the lawsuit may be brought OR it may even have a mandatory arbitration clause.

Those are key first steps to decide what you may do and where.

Is there a basis to obtain jurisdiction over the person in NY? Does the contract provide for that? Was anything done in NY? If NO, you can file the case in the County in PA where he lives.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Yes the contract was signed in New York , and the event was held here.

Your best bet would be to at least consult with a local attorney. They should be able to tell you where the proper venue would be and how to proceed. It's important that you get advice based upon a review of the actual documents by an attorney.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. www.PatchogueAttorney.com You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.