How do I file a lawsuit out of state.

Asked over 1 year ago - 10128

I'm suing an ex business partner over fraud , breach of contract,negligence , unpaid loans,and loans I've had to take because of the situation. I've got evidence that this person has done this stuff to multiple people in the past, through statements. The contract that was breached, evidence that shows the contract was breached, and evidence to support all my claims ten times over. I'm suing for $13000. It's an easy case. I just need help proceeding. The person I'm suing lives near Scranton pa

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Answered . Is there a basis to obtain jurisdiction over the person in NY? Does the contract provide for that? Was anything done in NY? If NO, you can file the case in the County in PA where he lives.

2. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

1

Answered . Your best bet would be to at least consult with a local attorney. They should be able to tell you where the proper venue would be and how to proceed. It's important that you get advice based upon a review of the actual documents by an attorney.

3. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . Show the contract to an attorney, It may have provisions that state where and in what court the lawsuit may be brought OR it may even have a mandatory arbitration clause.

Those are key first steps to decide what you may do and where.