How do i file a fiancé visa (K-1), do i go to a lawyer or do i send the papers on my own?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I have dated my fiancé for three years, i am a US citizen living in texas and he lives in mexico, he has never tried entering the US illegally. We are currently engaged. How do i file a fiancé visa? How long will the process take?

1. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . The Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit recently stated: "The Immigration and Nationality Act is a bit of a beast. It is not known for being warm or cuddly; words like "intricate" and "Byzantine" come more readily to mind. Nor is it known for being easy to understand; we have often re-marked on its fiendish complexity."

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . Retain an experienced immigration lawyer for the process. Otherwise you risk making too many mistakes that will have the effect to hopelessly delay the process or get it denied. Process takes 5-6 months to complete if done correctly.

3. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

Answered . Retain an experienced attorney who will take care of the paper work for you. Processing is about 5-6 months.

4. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . Relying on a reputable professional is always better when you care about the end result.

5. Aggie Rachel Hoffman

3

Answered . You will need to file form I-129F with all supporting documentation as directed in the instructions accompanying the form. Once the petition is approved, it will be sent to the Am Consulate in Cd Juarez for processing. I estimate the processing time to be 6-9 months. Upon entry with the fiancé visa (K-1), your fiancé will receive employment authorization. The two of you will be required to marry within 90 days of his arrival, after which he will need to file the Application to Adjust Status (I-485) will all supporting documentation. When approved, the I-485 will grant conditional resident status (CRS). You may file this process on your own or with the assistance of counsel. Of course, having an experienced immigration attorney to represent you, signficantly reduces any aggravation and stress always associated in dealing with a bureaucratic process.

6. Veronica Tunitsky

1

Answered . The smart way is to hire an attorney to help you with this process because it's far too easy to make mistakes that can lead to potentially costly complications and delays.