Skip to main content

How do i file a fiancé visa (K-1), do i go to a lawyer or do i send the papers on my own?

Houston, TX |
Filed under: K-1 fiance visa

I have dated my fiancé for three years, i am a US citizen living in texas and he lives in mexico, he has never tried entering the US illegally. We are currently engaged. How do i file a fiancé visa? How long will the process take?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Retain an experienced attorney who will take care of the paper work for you. Processing is about 5-6 months.

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  2. Relying on a reputable professional is always better when you care about the end result.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

  3. Retain an experienced immigration lawyer for the process. Otherwise you risk making too many mistakes that will have the effect to hopelessly delay the process or get it denied. Process takes 5-6 months to complete if done correctly.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. You will need to file form I-129F with all supporting documentation as directed in the instructions accompanying the form. Once the petition is approved, it will be sent to the Am Consulate in Cd Juarez for processing. I estimate the processing time to be 6-9 months. Upon entry with the fiancé visa (K-1), your fiancé will receive employment authorization. The two of you will be required to marry within 90 days of his arrival, after which he will need to file the Application to Adjust Status (I-485) will all supporting documentation. When approved, the I-485 will grant conditional resident status (CRS). You may file this process on your own or with the assistance of counsel. Of course, having an experienced immigration attorney to represent you, signficantly reduces any aggravation and stress always associated in dealing with a bureaucratic process.

    The herein content is for general informational purposes only, and may be predicated on incomplete facts. It should not be relied upon in making legal decisions or assessing your legal rights or risks. Neither does the herein reply create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. The Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit recently stated: "The Immigration and Nationality Act is a bit of a beast. It is not known for being warm or cuddly; words like "intricate" and "Byzantine" come more readily to mind. Nor is it known for being easy to understand; we have often re-marked on its fiendish complexity."

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  6. The smart way is to hire an attorney to help you with this process because it's far too easy to make mistakes that can lead to potentially costly complications and delays.

    We offer consultations via in-person, telephone, Skype, and email. Contact us today! 713.335.5505 *** *** The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics