How do I file a civil suit against an auto mechanic who has had my car for well over a year without fixing it?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I use this truck for business and personal use and as such I have incured the cost of renting a truck from my employer in order to work and have lost payment for mileage. Additionally, I have had to resort to renting cars for personal use. Thank You.

1. Dana L. Manner

Answered . Is this a licensed repair facility? Did they give you a written estimate? If not they are violating the Florida Motor Vehicle Repair Act.

For example, if they failed to give you a proper written estimate, you do not have to pay anything for the repairs (if any), and they may be barred from filing a mechanic's lien on the car.

This is a tricky situation and you need to play your cards in order, or else you may end up in a jam. Consult with an auto fraud attorney, or view my profile on Avvo.

One or more answers have been taken down.