Skip to main content

How do I file a civil suit against an auto mechanic who has had my car for well over a year without fixing it?

Jacksonville, FL |
Filed under: Fraud Car repairs

I use this truck for business and personal use and as such I have incured the cost of renting a truck from my employer in order to work and have lost payment for mileage. Additionally, I have had to resort to renting cars for personal use. Thank You.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Is this a licensed repair facility? Did they give you a written estimate? If not they are violating the Florida Motor Vehicle Repair Act.

For example, if they failed to give you a proper written estimate, you do not have to pay anything for the repairs (if any), and they may be barred from filing a mechanic's lien on the car.

This is a tricky situation and you need to play your cards in order, or else you may end up in a jam. Consult with an auto fraud attorney, or view my profile on Avvo.

I am an attorney who is only licensed in the State of Florida. My answer is general legal advice based upon what I perceive your question to be, and should not be relied upon because every person's facts and circumstances are unique, and because specific laws vary from state to state. To completely evaluate a legal issue requires reviewing and evaluating all relevant facts, applicable laws and other information. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and offered for informational purposes only.

Car repairs topics

Recommended articles about Car repairs

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer