Skip to main content

How do I file a change of venue from family court in Illinois to Washington state.

Longview, WA |

The father has a restraining order out of Illinois, the family moved to Washington due to health issues. How do I change the venue for family court to Washington from Illinois? Also how do you serve someone without a current address.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You register the Court order from Illinios in Wa. state. Once accomplished, you then must serve the person. This can be done by mail with the court's authority or you may pyblish with the court's authority in a paper -- both procedures can be trcky so you should not attempt to do so without the assistance of counsel.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


A new petition for a restraining order can be filed in WA if the facts are strong enough. The best option is probably to file a petition for parenting plan or divorce depending on the circumstances. If there has been DV, WA probably has jurisdiction. If no DV, you probably have to wait 6 months to file in WA, at which time the kids' home state will be WA. Answered less than a minute ago. You need to retain an attorney, who will interview you, review the records, and then outline your reasonable options. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on interstate child custody and UCCJEA cases for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer